Wednesday 1 July 2009

Andaz Apna Apna

Andaz Apna Apna (1994) is an iconic movie. It is a pity that it does not rank among the classics. However, if you take a survey of people born between 1975 - 1985 and ask them to rate their top 10 movies, AAA will feature in 90% of the lists. If the lists are consolidated, I will not be surprised if it ranks among the top 3. Unfortunately, the movie released at a wrong time and did not do as well as expected. The 1990s were not known for movies with 3 hours of comedy. Loud and slapstick Johnny Lever antics were used as small comic fillers in most movies. Thank God, he was not a part of the cast of AAA.

I personally have seen movies that are much funnier and better. However, I have to admit that AAA had a quality that made it stand out - the dialogues. If I take a conservative estimate, people in my generation have seen the movie millions of times and remember each and every dialogue by heart. Dialogues like "Teja mai hoon, mark idhar hai", "Galti se mistake ho gaya", etc still live on. It seemed like every verbal exchange was well thought out and written. Credit to Rajkumar Santoshi (screenplay) and Dilip Shukla (dialogue).

Another quality was its characterization complemented by a cast of superb actors. Salman Khan's character Prem was my favourite and my favourite scene was his fight with Crime Master Gogo played by Shakti Kapoor. They don't touch each other and yet act as if they are coming to blows.

The reason I'm writing this is because my friends keep using AAA applications, quizzes or pages in facebook and remember quite a bit of the movie. Purists may disagree but it is a kind of a classic.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely a classic & is an epitome of what tickled the funny bones of Indians in the late 70's & early 80's. me being a product of that era am enthralled by the way the movie has shaped out. Each character was unique & extremely funny... my fav dialogue is ... mein Teja Hoon... Mark idhar hai!

    ReplyDelete