Wednesday 8 July 2009

Voltaire and Homosexuality

Those who know about the French philosopher Voltaire would wonder what does he have to do with homosexuality. My answer is - nothing. It is me who has combined the two to make a point. If you are a right-wing conservative person, you may not understand the point I am making but do give it a shot.

Firstly Voltaire - his famous words that liberal people all over the world live by - "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Conservatives must be scratching their heads after reading this so let me elaborate - This is about the basic human rights of freedom of speech and expression as long as they are not harmful to anyone. It is about being mature enough to disagree with someone and yet allow them their right to opinion and expression. It is about defending that right to the extent that even if someone forcibly clamps down on your opponent's right to expression, you having the fortitude to defend your opponent's right by fighting with someone who may be even agreeing with you on the topic in question. I can't explain any better!

Now coming to homosexuality. The Indian government has recently been mulling about decriminalizing it. Then the High Court has passed a ruling that anything happens within a person's bedroom, if it is consensual, then it is not within the judiciary's or the government's jurisdiction to stop it.

Now I will link the two. Firstly, I hail the authorities for being liberal minded about it. They have safeguarded Freedom of Expression. Secondly, let me clarify my stand on homosexuality - I believe it is a mental disorder, an unnatural thing and gives me the creeps!

And yet I hail the court ruling because my or anybody's else judgement should not intrude with a person's choice of life. Voltaire would have been so proud of me!

4 comments:

  1. Your inability to understand something so innate to human sexuality which has existed in every period of time and every civilization means, to me, that you are completely unqualied to comment on it until you can get over your "creeps" and unsophisiticated approach to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inability to understand something so innate to human sexuality which has existed in every period of time and every civilization means, to me, that you are completely unqualied to comment on it until you can get over your "creeps" and unsophisiticated approach to the subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone so evil, barbaric and potentially murderous man shouldn't speak on Voltaire.
    Just for a few loud applause from the pseudo-liberals, deciding who is what, against science (which should be followed as long as there is one minority left to bully and spit on).

    Since you are so vulgar and appalled by education (for equal rights of men who aren't heterosexual), a discussion of facts and logic won't be your cup of tea.
    Instead, my sincere request would be to join a fundamentalist group. I guess you can still fly to Syria even now.
    But don't be like "Hail women's rights, hail atheists, hail prostitution... Bit those fucking faggots- gross"
    Just be honest. A genocidal group is Right up your alley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salil Khetani: When did you make the "choice" to be straight? Your ignorance is not only revealed by your "creeps" comment, but also your inability to express yourself properly in writing. Stay in school!

    ReplyDelete