Tuesday 5 May 2009

"That was supposed to be funny"

Some people just do not have a sense of humour. I don't mind if people don't laugh at my jokes or don't laugh at jokes I find funny as long as they get the joke. I'm talking about people who just don't get it! They either take themselves too seriously or are too pretentious to recognize odd human traits! Either way, I cannot have a simple conversation with them. They always seem to be on a different plane of thought than me and that is unnerving.

Of course, such people do laugh but then slapstick is just one form of humour. Wit is another form of humour that they seem to get, I have observed. But give them the absurd humour of Gary Larson or the ironical humour of Jerry Seinfeld and they are all at sea! "What was so funny?" they ask! Sarcasm is always taken literally and black comedies are only for 'sick people' according to them!

I'm all for letting people be as they are but I have an issue with such personalities. I have a habit of adding a touch of my own absurd humour in almost everything I say which makes them look at me with pity - "Salil, you need to grow up!". I should respond by telling them that they need to add one more dimension to their thinking! Uptight little buggers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment